Sunday, March 11, 2012

Video: Webciety CeBIT keynote: How the web changes the organisation of business

For those of you who weren't at Webciety at CeBIT, Hannover, Germany on Thursday March 8, or weren't able to catch the live webcast of my keynote when it was first broadcast, a recording is now available.



The video lasts almost an hour which includes introduction, my keynote and a panel discussion of the themes it outlines. In summary it explores how the future isn't digital, it is self-organised, how and why the web powers disruption based on this and explores the role of the organisation in a world in which we can organise for ourselves more cheaply and effectively than ever before. It also recognises the challenge of 3D printing in this context - how this reveals where the means of production have always resided and what this tells us about the key tasks that must be taken on by the org of the future.

I've expanded a few more thoughts, specifically in relation to 'Loose Ties and Sufficient Organisation', which are detailed in my blogpost of Saturday March 10, 2012.

I have also updated the slides on slideshare to those I finally presented. I hope you find them useful.

Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. Nice work - liking the Madonna headset, and as always, lots of interesting and relevant points. It's been a while since I've had the chance to listen to your thoughts on the future, so the video will keep me going till the next time we're in the pub...

    One interesting point I'd be interested in hearing more about is the future not being automated - besides being tempted as a 'cost-effective' means of production and management, the tech behind it is slowly (very slowly in terms of relevant advertising) improving, so what stops it ultimately passing a mass scale Turing test at some point in the future?

    I'm not arguing in favour of automation (Especially not as someone who enjoys being paid to write for various people and on my own sites), but I find it difficult to see what stops it from improving and becoming more and more widespread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual brilliant insight David - in particular about behavioural change and organisations. Social media is just a tool and applied in isolation will fail.

    Loved the thoughts about partners rather than customers too - and particularly exciting when we are considering new business models.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one David. I particularly liked the bit about platform organizations. I reckon we are going to see a really interesting period of totally new ways of conceiving of the groups we work in.

    ReplyDelete

FasterFuture.blogspot.com

The rate of change is so rapid it's difficult for one person to keep up to speed. Let's pool our thoughts, share our reactions and, who knows, even reach some shared conclusions worth arriving at?