Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Efficiency is lazy. But hard to shake.

I have just returned from my daily, government-proscribed, exercise. Thoughts gathered on that walk, inspired somewhat by Dave Snowden's COVID-19 & Leadership initiative, led me to identify a 'weak signal' which may gain significance as we find ourselves having to relearn how to respond and organise.
Let me explain.
I'm very keen to maintain my 2 meter minimum distance from people. I am lucky enough to be able to walk into the countryside so the folk I do encounter are relatively rare. When one does hove into view I usually have 2-3 minutes to adjust my direction to keep well clear. As do they.
Often I will cross the road to ensure we keep well apart. Often I will pause, slow my direction, change my trajectory. As do many others.
I would guestimate its 19/20 times that I do the making way. Joggers sometimes bounce past a little too close for comfort (I don't hear them coming from behind if I have my earphones in). Cyclists sometimes fly by on the same path - rather than trouble themselves with the change in direction that would take them onto grass or a very quiet road.
We could see this as a metaphor only - it is inefficient to step away from the path you've set yourself. It may add steps to your journey. It may take you longer. You may expend more energy.
But it's more than metaphor. It is how we behave. It is how we behave even under the threat of a virus that is changing so much else about how we live.
And that's the weak signal that is still there four week's into lockdown and longer still into social isolation. We seem to prefer efficiency even under threat to our health. Perhaps this is as much because the default behaviour for us - recognised in the whole 'don't make me think' culture of Easy we have delivered - is to be lazy.
It is harder to take extra steps, it costs us more to replan our direction of travel - in energy and time.
One other weak signal to consider, emerging from my walks: The larger the group, the less likely it is to change direction. There is both metaphor and real behaviour in this.
As we face the chaos of COVID-19 and attempt to sense our way to what comes next, we must do so recognising the threat to change from our fixation on efficiency - and the potential for faster responses inherent in smaller groups.



No comments:

Post a Comment

FasterFuture.blogspot.com

The rate of change is so rapid it's difficult for one person to keep up to speed. Let's pool our thoughts, share our reactions and, who knows, even reach some shared conclusions worth arriving at?