To corrupt a Clay Shirky phrase (a screen that ships without a mouse, ships broken):
Media that publishes without a comment box, publishes broken
That is to say I am somewhat amazed that there are still publishers, (even those who profess an open approach), who publish content without allowing the reader to publish back at them - to comment on their story.
It's an extraordinary attitude that says:
- There, I'm done.
- That's all you need to know.
- All your questions have been answered - because I say so.
- This is as good as it gets.
- Me producer, you consumer.
- Me expert, you little man/woman.
- Nothing to be challenged here. Move along
- Your opinion counts for zip
And the originators would like a little of that value, right?
(image courtesy frangipani)