I compiled this for a presentation - with the real-time help of @vero @andrewspong @picklejar - and thought it might be useful to share here. By all means add to it by making comments on this post.
Your Social + Media Strategy Will Fail If:
- You think of yourselves as owners rather than as an enabling platform
- You don’t place social + media at the heart of what you do (it can’t be layered on)
- You fail to listen – and join in
- You don’t go where your communities are
- Your message doesn’t match your actions (authenticity)
- You try to use peer-to-peer for push/broadcast (you can't use it, you can participate in it)
- You set yourselves up as a ‘brand’ or ‘corporation’ rather than as a human - and speak like a brochure.
- You approach it as a purely comms medium and make it just one department’s responsibility.
- You fail to think (honestly) about what’s in it for the user
- You don’t give it enough time (don’t do campaigns, do relationships)