Thursday, June 26, 2008

Why hits MUST have less value in the networked world

I spoke at Digital Asset Management in London yesterday, on a panel in the morning and on my feet in the afternoon.
I also had the good fortune to hear Professor Malcolm McDonald speak about marketing (a real pleasure - you really should check him out if you haven't come across his work) and to be interviewed by the clearly brilliant Michael Moon - in for the event from San Francisco.

Once again during the Q&A sessions I was involved in I found myself trying to explain the 'reason' why hits MUST have less value in the emerging networked world. I've never included slides for this in any of my presentations. So, I thought I'd better whip some up.

They are shown below (and on slideshare). Your thoughts, as always, actively welcomed. Apologies for the quality - hope the relevance counts!

4 comments:

  1. Nice trick to flip the chart. But I didn't quite get it (may be because I don't know enough about this topic or I'm a bit slow today). In my opinion, social networks enable people to create and nurture relationships; If that's the value most individuals are seeking when they go on there, then it takes 'several steps' to form a relationship and many more to nurture it. Plus, in the social network world, it's not merely hit that will make you move further in building relationships, it's what you exchange with others (content, idea, comments, help, advice....).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laurent. This slide deck aims to illustrate why there is now less value in having a hit than there was in the days of the broadcast world.
    It doesn't explore the value of relationships (the very human ones on which communities of purpose are built).
    My white paper: Communities of Purpose are the Business Units of the 21st Century deals with that more explicitly.
    Take a look at that and perhaps we can talk more about key role relationships and how they are built has to play?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will read your white paper this weekend. Have a nice week end yourself. Hope it'll be sunny in London

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. Enjoy your sunshine too!

    ReplyDelete

FasterFuture.blogspot.com

The rate of change is so rapid it's difficult for one person to keep up to speed. Let's pool our thoughts, share our reactions and, who knows, even reach some shared conclusions worth arriving at?