It's not often you get the opportunity to see both of the authors of the seminal Communities Dominate Brands in the same place at the same time (Alan Moore and Tomi T Ahonen) - and even rarer that you'll find yours truly joining them in what promises to be an exciting exploration of Mobile as 7th of the Mass Media.
Not only is that the title of Tomi's latest book, it's also the title of a course at Oxford University on April 22-23 led by Tomi, Alan and myself.
The new date (it was originally due to take place in December) means its on the days preceding the ever-brilliant Forum Oxford Future Technologies conference which is held at the same venue on the 24th.
Hope you'll know someone who ought to be there! Book Your Place
The following is from the University of Oxford's Continuing Education site.
About the CourseMobile is emerging as the 7th mass media channel, whilst legacy mass media witnesses a decline. This course presents a journey through some of the most advanced content and media services deployed on mobile phones, in the most advanced mobile telecoms countries such as Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong and Finland.
Intending to build on the content of Tomi T. Ahonen’s sixth book ‘Mobile as 7th of the Mass Media’, the course provides a unique opportunity to explore the taxonomy of the seven mass media, with an emphasis on what lessons can be learned when newer media are introduced.
The course will begin by examining the overall industry and the consumers of mobile content, before moving on to explain how to build compelling content to mobile, and exploding the myths of the limitations of supposedly too small keypads and tiny screens. The most promising early media content types: music, gaming, TV, internet, advertising and social networking will also be discussed.
All delegates will receive a free copy of Tomi T. Ahonen's book Mobile as 7th of the Mass Media.
Tomi T. Ahonen speaks to CNN - watch the video here
- Tomi T. Ahonen MBA, Independent 3G Strategy Consultant and Author
- Alan Moore, Author and CEO of SMLXL
- David Cushman, Author, Consultant and Director of Social Media, BrandoSocial.com
- The environment of mobile
- Mobile industry ecosystem
- Digital convergence and mobile, 5 industries
- Customer of Mobile - Gen C
- The 7 Media
- Legacy mass media Print, Recordings, Cinema, Radio, TV
- Internet as first interactive media
- Communities of Purpose and Long tail
- Mobile as 7th of the Mass Media
- Inherently threatening
- Seven Unique benefits of Mobile
- Clash of the Media
- Print, Recordings, Cinema vs Mobile
- Radio vs Mobile
- TV vs Mobile
- Internet vs Mobile
- Mobile Services and Applications
- Evolution of handset - 8 C's
- The Six M's service creation theory
- Community and Mobile
- Group forming theory
- Mobile social networks
- Marketing and Advertising
- Social Advertising Intelligence
- and mobile advertising
- Making it magical
- beyond the obvious with some case examples
- Shazam, AQA, Blyk, Tohato, Flirtomatic, Cameraphone Dictionary
- Summaries, conclusions, Q and A
First day registration from 8.30am when course materials will be distributed.
Refreshments from 8.30am on the first day plus two 30 minute breaks during the day and a one-hour lunch break.
The course will begin at 9.00am and end at approximately 5.00pm on each day.