Thursday, January 29, 2009

TwitterFriends - joining the dots


TwitterFriends. If you tweet, try it.
Twitter is a fantastic enabler of adhoc real-time self-forming communities of purpose.

Which means some connections are more important/relevant to you than others on a daily/hourly/by-the-minute basis. Some have more influence.

TwitterFriends helps you visualise that. The image here is just one of the many ways in which it cuts up and displays the data about the networks you share.

It's the kind of thing that has the potential to be really valuable in enabling the measurement of influence - something which is essential in empowering conversational marketing, but which also changes by the minute and by the interaction.

As I noted previously, measuring influence is complex (not complicated) it depends on:
  1. Me sticking to my brief – you trust me to talk social media, future of publishing, impact of the power of the network etc. If I start giving you tips about horse racing you’re going to treat them with caution – at the very least.
  2. I remain consistent: If I give you a series of bum steers my value to you will rapidly reduce.
  3. 2 and 3 can mix. If I start giving you horse racing tips AND I am consistently right – you’ll value this new aspect (I’ll even attract new communities of purpose as a result.
  4. The result of 2 and 3 mixing can impact on those who followed me because of 1&2.
  5. The value of my influence can only be measured from the receivers point of view – recommendation happens in the mind of the receiver.
  6. My influence among those who are yet to connect with me, but have the potential to through meta data is somewhere between 0 and infinity.
The toolkit to make THIS work is coming together... TwitterFriends gives us a glimpse.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

FasterFuture.blogspot.com

The rate of change is so rapid it's difficult for one person to keep up to speed. Let's pool our thoughts, share our reactions and, who knows, even reach some shared conclusions worth arriving at?